Sunday, November 9, 2014

HIGHLIGHTING Karen, a dedicated and hardworking TEACHER

Q.  Tell a little about yourself and what you do for a living?

A.  I am a Special Education Interrelated Elementary School Teacher.  I co-teach and work with students who have learning disabilities in small groups within the regular education setting.  I prepare lessons through collaboration with third and fifth grade teachers.  I develop plans for accommodations  and  modifications based on individual deficiencies and needs of students.  I prepare and follow Individual Education Plans through parent meetings.  I have been a teacher for over twenty years.  I also have two college aged students of my own.  When I have free time, I enjoy working out in the gym.  One hour in a cycle class is my favorite activity along with the elliptical, the treadmill and a little bit of weight training.

Q.  How long have you been involved and how did you become introduced to CHOOSE TO CARE?

A.  I have been involved with CHOOSE TO CARE since 2010.  This is a vision that Paulette Weir has dedicated many hours to from the initial start up idea to where it has progressed now.  She expressed her ideas to me after her trip to Brazil, it broke her heart to see so many children without shoes; something that many of us may never have given any thought to.  She felt compelled to help as many children as she could.  That was when CHOOSE TO CARE began.

Q.  What made you get on board?

A.  Ms. Weir is passionate and dedicated to the mission of helping children with this very basic need of owning a good pair of shoes.  She has always shown traits of optimism, resourcefulness, strong-willed, nurturing and independence, just to name a few.  As a teacher I
have witnessed first hand how students feel when they are lacking just the basic items, whether it is shoes, coats, pencils, notebooks, snacks,etc it makes a difference in their motivation and attitude toward school and life in general. The need is out there so you cannot help but get on board.  It takes a village and we have to make it our duty to step up to do what we can to help the less fortunate.  There is a lot of talent out in the world that just needs the opportunity to shine.

No comments: