Tuesday, December 6, 2011

GETTING CENTERED - MY GRATITUDE MOMENT

  "If you cry because the sun has left your life,
   your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars"
                                                     Tagore

Anyone who knows me well knows that I love riding the subway. It is a theater unto itself, there is drama, musical and everything in between, played out in front of your eyes. The antics of the characters can amuse or disgust you and many riders just mind their own business, reading, dozing, knitting or listening to their I-Pods, never looking in the way of the actors, avoiding the stage altogether.  As much as I enjoy the show, the ride also serves as my time out, giving me a chance to reason with myself, write my stories and catch-up on projects approaching deadlines.  Usually, regardless of the turmoil around me, I have the energy to be productive on these rides.  But something is different this time, for two days I have tried to put this end of year blog together but did not get far;every creation was full of negative thoughts.  I felt burdened and weighed down.  I definitely did not want to go down that path, I went on to other things.

I strive for balance, so a ticket to Alvin Ailey's American Dance Theater was a welcoming distraction, a mood changer.  As I watched the REVELATIONS Dance numbers which I had seen many times, I could hardly contain myself, moving in my seat, raising up from my seat, feeling the spirit of the song, "ROCKA MY SOUL IN THE BOSOM OF ABRAHAM" That's when it occurred to me that I was experiencing the joy of living.  This was the pause I needed to pull me out of the dry spell.  This wonderful exhilarating moment made the adversity I felt easier to bear.  It reminded me that my blessings exceed my burdens.  My thoughts led to GRATITUDE and on my ride home on the subway, I began to scribble on scraps of paper what this script would be.  I became a writer, director, choreographer and producer of this show, meaning this was in my court.  So this is a sampling of the things I am thankful for.


  • I am thankful for my parents that guided my upbringing that has led me by their example to go out into the world to be an agent of positive change, ready to make a difference locally, nationally and beyond.
  • I am thankful for a partner who understands why I am drawn to help the human community of the world.  From the African Masai Tribe we learn "Sticks alone can be broken by a child, but sticks in a bundle are unbreakable."  The fears and sorrows that we bear can become so heavy that they can break us if we bear them alone but when we stick together we are unbreakable and we can overcome any adversity.
  • I am thankful for my children who after all did listen to the guidance they were given and doing their part to sustain this wonderful and amazing world that we live in.
  • I am thankful for my family, although scattered around the globe, know that you are frequently thought about and loved.
  • I am thankful for my roommate, in our undergraduate journey we lived harmoniously in a dormitory in small quarters and the respect for each other was awesome.  Even today your friendship remains a lot to me.
  • I am thankful for my sponsored children who live in six different Countries, two of whom I have met.  I have great hope for each and everyone.
  • I am thankful for my body, my temple, this vessel that I am mindful of that I continue to nourish in various ways;that has carried me all these years, that still function at a high capacity, enabling me to make every effort to care for the people of the world and their well-being.
  • In case you think you are left off the sampling, this is for you:  I am thankful for the vast web of support and love that you have shown. Thanks for catching me when I am about to fall.
May you also find a feeling of renewal and have your spirit raised to roll with life's zinger.

          "Each moment is a treasure, enjoy it!
            We are travelers on life's highway
            Enjoy the trip. Each lovely twist and byway,
            Each bump and dip. Voila, that's life, enjoy it!"
                                       Maurice Chevalier

Peace and Love for 2012  and Beyond.

1 comment:

Natalie B. said...

This was really, really nice to read. Knowing that life comes with ups and downs but knowing what keeps you centered allows you to live life in the present and move forward.