Saturday, July 14, 2018

MEET MARICELA A MEMBER OF THE NUTRITIONISTS AND FRIENDS IN ACTION(NAFIA)

CHOOSE TO CARE(CTC) strives to provide a new pair of shoes for the child in need.  We have made it our business.  But this is not the only thing we are drawn to.  At each of our local shoe distribution event, we invite the families of the youth we serve to join us in healthy eating.  These are delicious dishes with nutritious ingredients, prepared with the hands of our resident chef, Maricela.  She whips up amazing dishes, using a medley of fruits and vegetables, herbs and any edible thing on hand. Nothing is wasted!  The NAFIA team gives a nod to cooking with scraps, "From stalks to roots" is our motto, as we do our part to save this crumbling earth; passing the baton to bring awareness to the families of our communities, so they can hop on the bandwagon and be guided to become part of this passion.

You don't always need a recipe to take you to mouth-watering dishes, with practice it becomes easier to build your plate, swapping one vegetable for another, sprinkling a new herb to give it a kick, pour in some roasted nuts for that extra crunch, throw in some chickpeas or other beans of your choice, for protein goodness, top with a dollop of yogurt, some chives and scallion could only make it better.  Oh my, you are eating good and healthy.

Those who join us when Maricela is in the kitchen, leave with a nicely secured package containing:


  • nutritious plant-based dishes, lingering in your mouth
  • guideposts on how to prepare healthy meals
  • the rhythm of ADDING,BUILDING,SWAPPING
  •  ideas for ingredients that stimulate the imagination and reinforce our humanity

Maricela says: "I love to cook because when I am cooking I am in control of the flavor and seasoning of my own meals.  I enjoy cooking because through a colorful and delicious plate I can express how much I care for the ones I love.  Cooking is not only an innate skill but a gift from God, for which I enjoy and am thankful for."


"CHOOSE TO CARE has given me the confidence to share my talents with the families we have brought together, Along with making memories and sharing happiness, I genuinely believe that sharing is caring and cooking for a good cause is worthy."


Thanks Maricela for helping to build the foundation for a lovely world.

"Love and compassion are necessities,not luxuries.Without them humanity
cannot survive."
Dalai Lama


1 comment:

Evelyn said...

Hi Maricela how are you?