As we gathered, we greeted the community and asked the children and their family to join us in moving to the beat; besides making our limbs nimble, the laughter that comes with our less than perfect steps always bring laughter from deep down that oftentimes bring joy of tears and excitement so vital to the soul.
We are also serious about saving the planet and do our best to make a difference in our communities. We have invited the children and their families to join us in this effort. This time we made tags and invited them to choose one, which they will try to carry out.
Sayings such as:
- I will not keep the pipe running while brushing my teeth-do not want to waste water
- I will make less copies - less trees will be cut down
- I will carry a cloth bag for my grocery - less plastic will find its way in the soil
- I will use a smaller plate for meals - to avoid food waste
- Stop sucking through the straw - the plastic makes it way to the ocean and kill sea life.
- I want to keep my neighborhood clean - find a bin for my thrash
- I will talk about saving the earth to 1-2 persons
- I will ask 1-2 persons to spread the words to others about saving the earth
With earth day around the corner, our hope is that we will join the fight and do our part, nothing is ever too small. Go to earthly.org to check out the deeds performed around the nation that add up to win-win situations.
We sat down to a delicious bowl of salad with dressing made from the lowly pineapple skins, combined with pieces of apples, peaches and covered with water for a three week period. A tasty boost to the greens and chickpeas, that made us crave another bowl before the event's ending.
Here's my ode to the skin of the pineapple, rescued and revived, of course the dual message is to extend kindness and a helping hand to those in need.
Sweet Tasting Flesh
Juice running down
The sides of their mouth
They took what they wanted
And your skin? for the garbage,they exclaimed!
But you were RESCUED
From that dark pit, where you were placed to rot
Someone had an idea
You can still be of use
It took a little work, here and there
Patience, Caring, Watching over you
Was the process
Was the process
And look at you now, REVIVED
Your story has been told
You are given another chance to be whole again