Did I give you permission?
Not until I say so!
Don't even try it
It is not your call
I don't trust your decision, this
Is my handiwork and mine alone.
They stared in silence
Some bowed in agreement
Others, brave souls, huffing and pouting
Didn't want to take this any longer
They muttered under their breath
But with a frown on her face
And a sweep of the hand
She shoved them back,
Those who dared to get in her way,
Stay back, she said
This limelight is not to be shared
Mine are the last words, only my opinion counts.
Her head is swollen, this is unbelievable
Her chest is puffed, "Don't let me burst now"
Where is my crown? Ah!
Tailor-made, just for my head
But a row of diamonds, is exactly what I would like
Here, take it back, add it on and make it perfect!
Hold me before I faint,
I just know they are gonna call my name
And the award goes to ......
My hands are limped, a bad timing
To suck the life out of these limbs
My feet seemed pasted on the ground
I have to get to the stage,
I hear them calling my name
Coming she answered in a weakened voice.
Here good for nothing! Make yourself handy
Hold me by the hand, hoist me on your shoulders
And take me to that stage for the world to see
I want to tell them about my greatness,
Shoo! out of the way now,
Lest they mistake you for part of this marvel
I will take over now! feet, be steady and firm,
I am mightier than thou.
And she "woke up" to those who gathered around
To cheer on the deserving souls,
Who toiled through breaking tasks and bore
Insults after insults, commands after commands.
"Start again," "Unacceptable," she shouted
But her words went unheard
Today, those on whose shoulders she stood
Were given the AWARD OF HUMILITY.
Angry and forlorn, she worked herself in a tizzy
Amidst the sizzling sound of
A deflated ego, you could hear,
I WANT YOU GONE,BANISHED
AND OUT OF MY WAY!
Still making sure she has the last words
Only this time, they fell on deaf ears.
Questions To Ponder
Introduction: The title "Last Words" has a double meaning, her words that she claims only matters(commands,insults) and those that she uttered in defeat, which carried no weight,(fell on deaf ears).
- What is your reaction to such demands, as that of the Egoist portrayed?
- What was the challenge of the brave souls? How did they gather steam?
- Those who served, still met with "this is substandard" Discuss your feelings about the line between passive and proactive behaviors?
- So the Egoist feigned the need for assistance, "hold me before I faint, I just know they are gonna call my name .." But she continued to hurl insults "shoo, out of the way now .." Your thoughts?
- They were pushed aside, practically hidden. What do you think was the driving force that brought their plight to light?
- Think of a time you were faced with a similar situation, what did you learn and do to change the effect such rampant insults had on you?
- The soliloquy of awaiting an award - What do you make of this?
- And she "woke up" - Was this from a dream? or an unrealistic egotistical journey?
"My hands are limped ........." Why do you think the Author added this scenario?
"Fell on deaf ears" - Did the Brave Souls and Bowing members get together?